Ok. Let’s do it!
That’s the starting point whenever you decide to go onto something in your life.
You heard something. You thought about it. You liked it. You go for it!
I’ve done it for many such things in life that I’m just listing here a few of them to give you an idea:
- Starting a new diet.
- Starting practicing fitness.
- Starting a daily reading habit.
- Starting meditation.
- Starting yoga.
- Starting a new business.
The list keeps on running because it’s a never-ending list.
Never forget RULE NUMBER 1: “Life never ends until you die”.
Before saying the quote I mentioned at the beginning of this article (it was “Let’s do it!”, in case you forgot it), be sure that you have done this previous steps:
- You’re convinced. You really need to do that to fulfill your life.
- You feel motivated. “That thing” attracts you.
- You scheduled it. Which days, how often, for how long each day…
After that, you need to measure and control if you’re doing what you are supposed to do. That’s why I’m a great believer in habit tracking apps.
These apps give you 2 essential outcomes:
- Motivation. There’s nothing more motivating that marking a task as completed. That’s the unforgettable moment in which you say, “I did it”. That feels good!
- Data. They won’t lie to you. You’ll see what you did and what you didn’t. No hidden biases.
This is the point in which many of us get “the wrong way”. As soon as we measure something, we focus on figures and start watching them day by day. Without exception. Like an obsession.
That takes us under pressure because life is usually a rollercoaster. Ups and downs are what life is all about. It’s impossible to take a stillness way in which nothing affects us or affect our task.
The world is complex and full of variables that affect our processes, our life.
If we daily track our data, we will suffer “super-up” scenarios, whenever “an up” appears, and “super-down” scenarios, whenever “a down” comes to visit us.
Those daily ups and downs will make us losing focus on our goal.
How to overcome them?
Focusing on TRENDS. Period.
TRENDS have all these positive points:
- We do not fall into the short term analysis. If you bet for serious life goals, they cannot be achieved in a matter of days, not even months! That’s why we have to make checkpoints in the medium/long term. I like to do temporary checkpoints every month, and more in-depth analysis every three months.
- They do really motivate us. Because we are going to see the ups and downs, but our eyes will go to the trend. And, if you’re doing the right things when you should do them, be sure it will always be upwards. It never fails.
- We ignore the daily data. We focus on the process, on the task we are doing. Great achievers focus on processes, not in goals. If the process is the right one (be sure of that!), the goal will be accomplished. It’s just a matter of time.
Trends are the kerosene your rocket needs. This is one of the most crucial productivity rules I learnt in life to progress in my way to fulfillment, and that’s why I love productivity.
Photo at the top courtesy of rawpixel.com.